The Water Safety program is a FREE, specialised aquatics education initiative provided by MU Sport. It is specifically tailored to students who have not previously had the opportunity to learn to swim or simply lack water confidence.
Over an 8-week period, consisting of one 30-minute lesson per week, students will be taught the necessary water safety, stroke and survival skills required in Australia. These skills are crucial for water and beach activities and to lessen the risk associated with potentially treacherous and often underestimated water conditions.
All participants will be given free pool access to practise new skills outside of lesson times.
After finishing the lesson component of the course, students can attend a supervised beach experience with their instructors. This will complement the students’ lessons, serve as motivation towards the goal of being safe water users and also provide an experience that they will associate positively with their time at the University.
Benefits of the Program:
- Free, tailored program provided by Austswim qualified staff
- Learn vital skills required for safety in the pool/beach
- Develop survival and formal swimming stroke knowledge and technique
- Free pool access outside lesson times to practice
- Free beach excursion on completion of the program
- Significant health benefits: swimming is a whole body workout with minimal impact on the body
- Physical and mental health benefits leading to student wellbeing and success