The Water Safety program is a FREE, specialised aquatics education initiative provided by MU Sport. It is specifically tailored to students who have not previously had the opportunity to learn to swim or simply lack water confidence.
Over 10 week period, consisting of one 45-minute lesson per week, students will be taught the necessary water safety, stroke and survival skills for safe and enjoyable participation in water-based social activities. These skills are crucial for water and beach activities and to lessen the risk associated with potentially treacherous and often underestimated water conditions.
As with any new skill, reinforcement is crucial and so all participants will be given free pool access outside their lesson times to practice newly learnt skills. Additionally, upon completion of the formal lesson component of the course, students will be given the opportunity to attend a supervised beach experience along with their instructors. This will not only complement the students’ lessons, serving as motivation towards the ultimate goal of being safe water users but also provide an experience that they will associate positively with their time at the university.
Benefits of the Program:
- Free, tailored program provided by Austswim qualified staff
- Learn vital skills required for safety in the pool/beach
- Develop survival and formal swimming stroke knowledge and technique
- Free pool access outside lesson times to practice
- Free beach excursion on completion of the program
- Significant health benefits: swimming is a whole body workout with minimal impact on the body
- Physical and mental health benefits leading to student wellbeing and success