The Vision for Sport
The University has taken the positive step of developing and implementing a Strategic Plan for Sport with the vision that Sport Matters at Melbourne, It Inspires, Connects and Leads.
The Sport Foundation
All donations will be held in the University Endowment Fund and allocated to the University of Melbourne Sport Foundation. The Foundation has been established to create a significant endowment (corpus) to future proof the sporting clubs and sporting programs of the University. The Foundation enables benefactors to receive tax deductions for their donations in support of their sporting interest. The University of Melbourne manages the Foundation investment as part of the wider University Endowment Fund on behalf of the Sport.
Call to arms
To achieve the Vision for Sport funds are required beyond the capacity of the University, clubs or students to provide. The University calls on our Sporting Alumni to provide financial support to ensure that the University of Melbourne is the leading sporting university in the country
Ways to give
There are several ways that your financial contribution can assist to build a legacy:
Give to the sport or club of your choice. There are 39 sporting clubs affiliated with the University of Melbourne, with some of the larger clubs managing donations through the Sport Foundation. Some clubs conduct annual giving programs or special events, but donations can be made at any time directly to the specific sport chapter.
Donations to clubs or sports cannot be used for purposes other than those intended by the benefactor. For more information, find your relevant sport and/or club contact here.
Student-athletes deserve comprehensive sport scholarship and high performance programs to assist them to represent the University, club, state and country.
Support one of our high performance athletes to achieve their dreams and represent their club, state and country with distinction. Be a part of the University of Melbourne's Elite Athlete Friendly University Program and help Sport to increase the range of support and to continue to attract ‘the best and brightest' athletes.
- students for a specific sporting activity that their personal circumstances do not allow them to participate.
- general support for student participation in competitions
- a specific sport activity or to the Sport Scholarship Program to the benefit of all sports awarded by the Sports Scholarships Committee.
Sporting scholarships offered by a sport will be matched by the Sport Foundation, adding further value to your donation. General scholarship support will be held in the Sport Foundation as part of the endowment to provide annual scholarships.
General support of Sport is managed by the Melbourne University Sport Board, which determines the purpose for which the funds will be utilised for such as:
- large scale competition/club equipment such as boats
- the appointment of coaches and club managers to improve the quality of coaching and the professionalism of club and coach support services
- High Performance Programs including professional mentoring, strength and conditioning programs and facilities, injury recovery services, academic support services.
The provision of quality athlete services including academic and professional mentoring, strength and conditioning, injury recovery, medical support and access to quality coaching, equipment and facilities are crucial in enabling the University and the sporting clubs to attract ‘the best and brightest' student athletes.
A bequest provides significant value to both the benefactor and the University of Melbourne. Your gift will provide a lasting legacy for Sport. Some benefactors find that they can make a significant bequest in a will that they might not have been able to make in their own lifetime. Benefactors will receive recognition and appreciation from the University at the time of making your bequest.
If interested in gifting a bequest, suggestions for wording for Sport are below or if you need additional information, click here.
For Sport in general (to the Sport Foundation):
‘I give ([insert dollar amount / % of my residuary estate] to The University of Melbourne of Grattan Street, Parkville, Victoria ABN 84 002 705 224 ('the University') to support in perpetuity (insert either sport general, sport scholarships or sport capital works or a combination) the University ('the stated purpose'). If at any time the University determines that it is impossible or impracticable to carry out the stated purpose then the University may apply the income of the bequest for the purpose or purposes of either a specific sport or sports, or sport generally, at the University, as determined by the University.'
For a specific club or sport chapter:
‘I give ([insert dollar amount / % of my residuary estate] to The University of Melbourne of Grattan Street, Parkville, Victoria ABN 84 002 705 224 ('the University') to support in perpetuity the sport of (insert sport) at the University ('the stated purpose'). If at any time the University determines that it is impossible or impracticable to carry out the stated purpose then the University may apply the income of the bequest for the purpose or purposes of either a specific sport or sports, or sport generally, at the University, as determined by the University.’
The University can accept gifts of Property. However, for details on tax deductibility please see below:
A tax deduction for the donation of property can only be claimed in limited circumstances:
- Property that was purchased by the donor during the 12 months before making the gift - regardless of value. In this case, the deduction amount is either the market value of the property on the day it was purchased, or the amount paid for the property. Further info is available here
- Property, not donated within 12 months of purchase, valued by the ATO at more than $5,000. With these, a valuation must be obtained from the Australian Valuations Office, which will determine the deductible amount. Information can be found here
To achieve the Vision for Sport, the University of Melbourne needs to provide access to quality sport and recreation facilities to enable students and clubs to compete and train in the best facilities.
Support a capital project prioritised in the Sport Capital Improvement Plan, which outlines the projects planned for the next 10-15 years. The projects below are currently in development and need your support to enable Sport to find matching funds from the University and other partners.
- Main Oval Pavilion Redevelopment
- Sports Centre Club Facilities
- Major maintenance and improvements for the University of Melbourne's Fitness and Aquatic facilities, Alpine Lodge or Boat House
- Princes and Royal Parks facility development/improvement in collaboration with the City of Melbourne
The two latter opportunities benefit all University students, and all Capital Works funds are allocated by the Melbourne University Sport Board. Capital works gifts will be directed to the nominated project.
For more information on the Sport Foundation or how to donate to Sport initiatives, contact: