More Sport in 2021
The gradual return of sport to the University will continue into next year, with fitness facility, club and program use set to expand as students return to campus.
See below for planned improvements to our opening hours in 2021.
- Opening hours to return to normal in time for Semester 1 Orientation
- Hours will be confirmed in January 2021
Facility Access Update
Thanks to the collective effort behind containing the spread of COVID-19 in Victoria, capacity limits and entry restrictions at the Beaurepaire Centre as noted below:
- Increase capacity to 150 patrons at a time
- Removal of pre-booking system and 45 minute workout time – stay as long as you want!
- Re-open Changerooms and communal use areas such as water fountains
- The pay-per-visit system to access the gym will remain. All direct debit and payroll deduction fitness memberships will remain indefinitely suspended until further notice. If you wish to reactivate your membership instead of paying per visit, please contact our memberships team.
- Update Thursday 4 February - Following the announcement from the Victorian Government, face masks are once again mandatory inside public indoor spaces from 11:59pm on 3 February. All visitors must wear a mask while inside our facilities until further notice
THE POOL IS BACK!
The Beaurepaire Centre Pool is reopening for lap swimming!
Access via walk-up during opening hours listed further down the page and here.
Casual pricing will be applied for each session (see price list further down). All memberships are currently on suspension. If you would like to reactivate your membership, please speak to the Guest Services team in the Nona Lee Sports Centre or Beaurepaire Centre.
Some key items to note for these sessions:
- Access to toilets, showers and change room facilities has returned
If you have any questions or require your pin, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be able to provide this information
Swim Sessions in the Beaurepaire Swimming Pool are provided for lap swimming only. The pool is an indoor 25m heated pool with 6 lanes. Please note that our qualified lifeguards will advise you which lane speed is most appropriate for you – slow, medium or fast.
As we return to providing fitness and aquatics activities on campus, a casual payment system will be implemented as an interim measure until we are able to offer a more complete range of services, programs and facilities.
All memberships are currently on suspension. If you would like to reactivate your membership, please speak to the Guest Services team in the Nona Lee Sports Centre or Beaurepaire Centre.
CASUAL SWIM PRICES:
- Student $4.00
- Others $6.00
If you do not have a profile and pin for our online booking system, please email email@example.com and we will be able to provide this information.
*To qualify for Student rates you must present your current University of Melbourne Student card on arrival.
Selected sessions in the pool will be available as FREE for University of Melbourne students.
- Tuesday - 2:00pm-3:30pm
Students may only access one free swim per week. The normal booking process, terms and conditions apply.
If you have any questions or need to confirm your registered email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be able to provide this information.
The pool will be available during the following times:
|Pool (Monday - Friday)||7:00am - 9:00am & 11:30am - 7:30pm|
We have put a number of social distancing and cleaning measures in place to keep you safe while you are working out!
Please remember the following before your workout:
- While masks are not mandatory in gym spaces according to the latest health guidelines, you must carry a mask on your person at all times. If you are in a situation where you can not maintain social distancing, you must wear a mask.
- Drinking fountains and bubblers have been turned off – bring your own full water bottle
- A towel is mandatory for all visitors. If you do not have a towel, you will not be able to use the facility. Your towel must be used as a barrier between you and any equipment that you sit, recline, or lie down on, including the floor/ground
Find out more about our other Swim programs below
The Water Safety Program is a FREE aquatics education initiative available to University of Melbourne students.
The program was created for students who have not previously had the opportunity to learn to swim, lack water confidence or would like to develop survival and basic formal swimming stroke knowledge and technique.
Propulsion Swim Academy provides effective, structured and enjoyable lessons to children and adults of all ages and abilities. Their friendly, qualified and experienced instructors are passionate about helping swimmers achieve their aquatic potential and offer a number of programs, including:
- School-aged and adult learn-to-swim programs
- Recreational, Junior, State & National squad
- Private lessons
- Holiday intensive programs
- School group programs
- Specialised strength and conditioning programs
For more information, contact Propulsion Swim Academy.
To ensure an enjoyable and rewarding swimming sessions for our users, the following lap lane etiquette guidelines have been developed and will be monitored and forced by MU Sport lifeguards:
- Select a lane based on your ability and stroke/s you intend to swim during your visit
- Keep to the left of the lane
- To pass a swimmer, overtake on the right and move as promptly as possible back into the left lane after passing the swimmer to continue your lap
- If you have to move across any lanes, check both directions before moving
- When waiting at the end of the pool, move to the corner of the lane to avoid interfering with other swimmers who are continuing to swim laps and perform tumble turns. Please bring your patience along with your goggles
Six lanes are available for casual swimming. On occasion some lanes will be booked out for training, short courses, and private bookings. For more information regarding lane hire for private bookings, visit our Court & Venue Hire page.
Lane availability is below: