The Elite Athlete Program aims to:
- Assist elite and emerging student-athletes with a designated entry scheme
- Support elite and emerging athletes in achieving academic success and vocational transition
- Develop University of Melbourne Sporting clubs through the support of elite and emerging athletes
- Instil student-athletes with a life-long affinity to the University community
- Develop leaders and role models in sport, business and the community
The Elite Athlete Program operates by:
- Recognising elite athletes and supporting them with flexible study assistance
- Supporting elite and emerging athletes with a range of financial and in-kind support
- The University of Melbourne is also an endorsed member of the Australian Institute of Sport's Elite Athlete Friendly University network.
Stage 1 Sport Scholarship Applications for students contemplating study at the University of Melbourne in 2020 are open here.
Applications for Stage 1 close at 5 pm on Wednesday 22 November and conditional offers of support will be made to applicants before the end of 2019.
Sport Scholarships provide elite and emerging student-athletes with financial and in-kind support to assist them to reach their potential whilst studying at Melbourne. There is a variety of Sports Scholarship support on offer including High Performance Scholarships and Friends of the Sports Association Scholarships. All applicants are assessed for all scholarships awards they are eligible for and benefits can include:
- Up to $4,000 to assist with competition and travel costs
- Physiotherapy services (fully or partially subsidised with on-campus practice Elite Akademy
- Professional Strength and Conditioning coaching and programming
- 12 month Student Aquatic and Fitness (ScholarFit) membership
- Subsidies for inter-varsity representative sporting events
Sports Scholarship holders undertake to represent the University of Melbourne at appropriate inter-varsity championships or events during the term of their scholarship.
The University encourages international, national and state representation in sports and artistic performance and recognises the positive alignment that elite training and participation has to the University’s academic mission.
This Entry Scheme provides a conditional entry offer to students assessed as elite athletes who intend to study at the University of Melbourne.
Full details, including the Entry Scheme application form, are here.
Sport Scholarship Applications for 2019 have closed but student support enquiries can still be made by contacting the program coordinator.
Elite Athlete Recognition can provide flexible study assistance for recognised elite student-athletes, including:
- Timetabling to suit sporting commitments
- Renegotiation of assignment and assessment deadlines
- Flexibility around meeting minimum attendance requirements
- Alternate Exam Arrangements - Flexible Study Assistance Request Form
If you require Flexible Study Assistance for an exam, you must complete a Flexible Study Assistance Request Form in addition to an application for Elite Athlete Recognition
Cross institutional study if required to temporarily relocate
Additional financial assistance of up to $1,500 may be available to eligible elite athletes. Applications are open all year round; however, grants are subject to the availability of funding.
Applicants must satisfy all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be selected to represent their country in a National Team at a junior or senior level
- Be competing at an overseas competition
For more information regarding the Elite Athlete Program contact: