*Resumption of all activities, timelines and numbers listed below are pending Victorian Government and University approval and are subject to change*
Stage 4: Lock-down (First Step) - From 14 September
Virtual Strength and Conditioning classes
Stage 3: Stay at Home (Second Step) - From 28 September and when 30-50 cases per day
Stage 2: Go Outside (Third Step) - From 19 October and less than 5 cases with an unknown source in the last 14 days
Heavily restricted access to indoor facilities with limited participants (up to 20 per session)
Stage 1: Stay Aware (Last Step) - When no new cases for 14 days
Restricted access with increased participant numbers
Stage 0 – COVID Normal - When thresholds are met
Further increases to participant numbers
The Elite Athlete Program aims to:
- Assist elite and emerging student-athletes with a designated entry scheme
- Support elite and emerging athletes in achieving academic success and vocational transition
- Develop University of Melbourne Sporting clubs through the support of elite and emerging athletes
- Instil student-athletes with a life-long affinity to the University community
- Develop leaders and role models in sport, business and the community
The Elite Athlete Program operates by:
- Recognising elite student-athletes and supporting them with flexible study assistance
- Supporting elite and emerging student-athletes with a range of financial and in-kind support
- The University of Melbourne is a member of the Australian Institute of Sport's Elite Athlete Education Network.
Applying for Elite Athlete Program support and scholarships
Elite Athlete Program applications for students thinking about commencing study in 2022 are now open and applicants will receive a conditional offer of support prior to the 20 December VTAC preference change date
The Elite Athlete Program provides elite and emerging student-athletes with financial and in-kind support to assist them to reach their potential whilst studying at the University of Melbourne. Benefits can include:
- Up to $4,000 to assist with competition and travel costs from High Performance and Friends of the Sports Association Scholarships
- Physiotherapy services (fully or partially subsidised with on-campus practice Elite Akademy
- Professional Strength and Conditioning coaching and programming
- 12 month Aquatic and Fitness Centre membership
- Subsidies for inter-varsity representative sporting events
Supported student-athletes undertake to represent the University of Melbourne at appropriate inter-varsity championships or events during the term of their support.
The University encourages international, national and state representation in sports and artistic performance and recognises the positive alignment that elite training and participation has to the University’s academic mission.
This Entry Scheme provides a conditional entry offer to students assessed as elite athletes who intend to study at the University of Melbourne.
Full details, including the Entry Scheme application form, are here.
Elite Athlete Recognition can provide flexible study assistance for recognised elite student-athletes, including:
- Timetabling to suit sporting commitments
- Renegotiation of assignment and assessment deadlines
- Flexibility around meeting minimum attendance requirements
- Cross institutional study if required to temporarily relocate
- Alternate Exam Arrangements
If you require Flexible Study Assistance for an exam, you must complete a Flexible Study Assistance Request Form in addition to an application for Elite Athlete Recognition
Additional financial assistance of up to $1,500 may be available to eligible elite athletes. Applications are open all year round; however, grants are subject to the availability of funding.
Applicants must satisfy all of the following eligibility requirements:
- Be selected to represent their country in a National Team at a junior or senior level
- Be competing at an overseas competition
- Be currently enrolled at the University of Melbourne
For more information regarding the Elite Athlete Program contact: