22 October 2019
Melbourne University Sport (MU Sport) is accepting expressions of interest for a position as a student member of the Board. The positions are currently filled however should they become available, we will be looking to select up to two student members.
Melbourne University Sport is a Department of the University and is governed by the Melbourne University Sport Charter. Reporting to the Deputy Provost and the Melbourne University Sport Board, the department provides high-level policy, business and financial advice to the University on the development and management of sport and recreation at the University.
Sport has a special significance for the University through the performance of sporting clubs, teams and high profile athletes that enhance the reputation of the University. The vision for sport is that Sport Matters at Melbourne – it Inspires, Connects and Leads.
Melbourne University Sport provides professional management of the fitness, sports and recreation facilities, clubs, programs and activities of the University and works closely with all stakeholders and external strategic partners in delivering sport and physical recreation opportunities for the University community in accordance with strategic and operational plans.
That MU Sport is recognised as the leading Australian University department for the provision of programs that improve student and staff physical and mental health, reduce social isolation and create lifelong connections to the University.
The objectives of MU Sport are to:
- Enhance the campus experience and improve the physical wellbeing of all students and staff by providing opportunities to engage in regular physical activity at the University
- Support the development of leadership capabilities in programs and clubs that enable students, staff and alumni to demonstrate leadership and active citizenship
- Provide opportunities for student athletes, clubs and teams to compete successfully at events and competitions that engage our students, staff and alumni
- Provide access to quality facilities for all sport and club programs
- Determine and implement appropriate duty of care and risk management practices
- Ensure the recruitment and ongoing support for student athletes
- Be responsible for the oversight and management of the activities of all affiliated sporting clubs
- Recognise the achievements of athletes, teams and clubs with Sporting Awards and Blues
- Support alumni engagement activities and encourage giving to support clubs, sporting programs and facility development
- Collect, curate and display archival material on the sporting history of the University to engage visitors, alumni and current and prospective students;
- Uphold the objectives of MU Sport as outlined
- Recommend sport strategic and capital plans to the VC, in the context of the University’s strategic plans and monitor performance against the plans
- Make a recommendation on the appointment of the Director to the VC
- Advise the VC on sport and recreation policy
- Recommend the annual budget for submission as part of the University planning and budgeting cycle and monitor performance against plan and budget
- Advise on medium and long-term planning of the University sport and recreation facilities
- Monitor and advise on industry developments relevant to the provision of University sport and recreation
- Oversee the operations of MU Sport in a manner consistent with plans and budgets approved by the University for that purpose
- Fulfil trust obligations in regard to the Sport Foundation and other sport related trusts of the University
- Determine the affiliation requirements and procedures for clubs on the advice of the Director
- Monitor the performance of the Director and subject to the terms of their appointment, and receive reports from the Director at its meetings on the operation and management of MU Sport
- Monitor the stakeholder relations between the Director and sporting clubs, state and national sporting organisations, the residential colleges and any other stakeholders
Purpose of the Position
The Melbourne University Sport Board provides strategic direction and oversight of the operations of Melbourne University Sport. The Board consists of nine members; a Chancellery Executive Member nominated by the VC, four external members, including the Chair, two University of Melbourne Staff members and two currently enrolled University of Melbourne students.
Roles and Responsibilities of Board
The responsibilities of the Board are as follows:
Term of Position
Student Members are appointed for a one-year term and must be enrolled at the University for the duration of the appointment.
Duties of Position
The role of the Board:
- To attend meetings and actively participate in the deliberations of the board
- Champion sport and recreation within the University and externally
- Support the strategic objectives of MU Sport and the University
- Knowledge and understanding of sport and fitness industry
- Experience in board management
- High level leadership and management skills
- Strategic management experience in sport, University or non-profit organisations
- Involvement in sport at the University
Time Commitment for Board Members
The Board meets at least four times a year. Extra time may be required to attend functions or events on behalf of the Board or participate in working groups or sub-committees as required by the Board.
Applications and Enquiries
Please address any enquiries and written applications to Jean-Luc Garlick by 30 November 2019